26 September 2018
September 26th, 2018 Outreach Meeting Minutes
by Liam Fruzyna
Participants: Megan Socha, Efrain Torres, Natalie Waltz, Liam Fruzyna
Meeting in person
Purpose: Discuss outreach before meeting tonight
Outreach volunteers and teachers
- Megan - No one is signed up to volunteer/teach for outreach, email sent last Friday
- Megan and Natalie - Can go every time
- Efrain - Can go every time but the first week of November
- Efrain - Push again at meeting tonight and social, as well as, outside of BMES, e-lead for example, will email Andrea, a master student has also reached out to help as a teacher
- Efrain - May be too intimidating
- Natalie - We should discuss what the teacher is to relax people about the position
- Efrain - Mock-session and more to make the teachers more comfortable
- Natalie - We should bring a Pi-Top today
- Efrain - We were able to get all all 13 Pi-Tops with free shipping from a local distributor, plus 3 we already have
Engineering Social Media
- Efrain - Lexi can help us get in contact with local media to get a little press from a meeting, would have to put into the photo release
- Natalie - We still need to write the photo release
- Efrain - We need to get these running too, St. Augustine is a good first option, we should plan at least 3 weeks ahead. Prince of Peace is interested too, would be interested doing something service based with them.
- Natalie - Pick a day for St. Augustine
- Efrain - 17th of October is the earliest it could happen, but that is fall break. The next week is bootcamp kickoff, so it would be a busy week.
- Natalie - Tuesday or Thursday to get a different variety of volunteers
- Efrain - At least one of us should be there
- Natalie - Should we survey the volunteers?
- Efrain - We can do that, then choose if there aren’t enough responses. Or ask Lisa what works best for them.
- Natalie - Could we fit in 2 training sessions before for volunteers
- Efrain - That’s what the 3 week buffer is for, so for sure
- Efrain - Previously met weekly to plan ahead. First meeting doesn’t cover any actual topics, just getting people interested.
categories: outreach - meeting
- Efrain - Date for DIY event
- What a DIY event is (demystifying STEM)
- Description of St. Augustine
- Poll for ideas for Prince of Peace
- Explaining bootcamp
- Getting teachers for bootcamp
- Megan - Has been drafting slides for tonight
tags: volunteers - outreach