28 March 2019
March 27th, 2018 General Body Meeting Minutes
by Liam Fruzyna
Meeting in Engineering Hall 236
Purpose: Major Help, help you choose concentration.
Remainder of the Semester
- Rockwell Automation coming next Wednesday, April 3rd from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- High School Design Challenge is Friday April 12th from 9 am to 2 pm.
- We need volunteers for hour increments of this event.
- BMES has a Hunger Cleanup team for Saturday April 27th from 8:30 am to 2 pm.
- Industry Networking and Awards Night is Wednesday, April 24th from 6 pm to 8 pm.
- A dinner where we invite various industry and academic contacts to celebrate our progress for the academic year.
- You must be a due paying member to join.
- E-Board Elections will be held sometime in the next month or so.
- Please take some time to consider running for one of the positions.
Major Help Night
- Jason - Biomechanics
- Smiths Medical and Medtronic Co-ops
- Kari - Biocomputing
- Milwaukee Tool and Fresenius Kabi Co-ops
- Seamus - Bioelectronics
Finding a Co-op
- Apply, apply, apply
- Don’t be afraid to apply to somewhere that previously denied you.
- If you don’t have an answer to an interview question be honest, tell them how you’ll learn.
- Co-ops are for finding out what you want to do.
- Research the company before so you have stuff to talk to them about.
Why do you love/hate your concentration?
- You get some of everything no matter what.
- You can still do non-biomedical work.
- Love: Problem solving
- Hate: Everyone thinks I’m good at coding.
- Love: Comes naturally to me.
- Hate: The connotations
- It’s the given track of biomedical engineering, it’s still a choice.
- Concentration for the “dumb” biomedical engineers. Different classes are easier for everyone.
- Love: The people
- Hate: Getting shocked, some of the professors are hard to understand.
What to do if you don’t have a co-op over the summer?
- Skills from almost any jobs can be transferable. Think like an engineer.
- Do your own project. Also shows people what you’re capable of.
- You can be a camp counselor for the office of outreaches’ summer camps.
- Take classes over the summer, some are available online.
- Look into research.
Hardest class in BME?
categories: general_body - meeting
- Embedded Instrumentation - Not particularly hard but the teacher Skypes in so it’s impossible to pay attention.
- Computer Apps - Huge time commitment.
- Dynamics - Didn’t come naturally like statics did.
- No class in particular but some professors have been harder to work with.