5 December 2018
December 5th, 2018 E-Board Meeting Minutes
by Liam Fruzyna
Participants: Liam Fruzyna, Hasan Barakat, Megan Socha, Natalie Waltz, David Fraley, Efrain Torres, Nicole deGuzman
Meeting in person
Purpose: Reflect on the semester
- Natalie - 3 VPs for next semester, extra e-board position by merging secretary and social media, plus a committee of 5 to help the 3 VPs.
- VP of Education is bootcamp and long term education
- VP of Service is short term education service events and general service events
- An additional committee would be formed to help everyone across the outreach VPs
- Geek Squad, troubleshooting, knowing the code
- Lab Manager, in charge of ordering and tracking the supplies for events
- Talent Aquisition, getting people for events
- Communication Specialist, communicating internally and externally
- Risk Management Specialist, deals with risk management office
- Nicole - VP should be the one communicating with the schools, more professional and less room for error.
- Consensus - Agrees
- Natalie - Should also make transitioning into leadership easier.
- David - Do we need to write this into the constitution?
- Hasan - We need to overhaul the constitution anyway.
- Liam - Are the committee positions elected or selected?
- Natalie - Existing and new VPs would work on an application process to join the committee. New VPs would have final say.
- Hasan - There should be input from all of e-board to help prevent bias and broaden scope.
- Megan, David - Maybe the VPs should present their selections to the e-board and the e-board finalizes it.
- Natalie - There has been a drop in retention for bootcamp, we propose 4 sessions instead of 8 and to make it much more project based. Natalie, Megan, and Efrain will redesign the program over winter break. Run it at MAS next semester to trial it out. In the future stress DIY events in the fall to get people ready for bootcamp in the spring.
- Efrain - There will be a couple DIY events next semester, starting out with a St. Agnes event early in the semester and they will visit campus later.
- Natalie - Notes are on the sharepoint.
Reflection of the Semester
- Megan - We didn’t get shirts and there was no communication, we were too tied up in our own rolls to focus on the overarching things.
- Hasan - We will address the shirts tonight and in the email, sponsors has been an issue on this front.
- David - It should be a mixture of treasurer and industry relations.
- Hasan - Maybe in spring we deal with sponsor and fall we make shirts right away.
- Efrain - Committees may help with communication, it lightens the load on everyone else.
- Liam - There was a lot of talk about specifics in e-board meetings and not much time left over for these extra things, hopefully the committee does help with that.
- Liam - A better system for communication may help working together outside of the group chat, but we’ve struggled with that in the past. Something were we can have a topic, comment on it, and mark down progress is what we need. Trello may be a good option.
- Hasan - Will look into options.
- David - We need to get a true hour from the next e-board and the ability to pause.
- Natalie - A positive is the newsletter, it has been were affective and clean.
- Hasan - About 55% have been reading it which is a decent success.
- Natalie - I think we could have done a better job letting everyone to get to know each other, the organization should be close.
- Hasan - How can we do a better job, we already have a few social events.
- Efrain - We should just do more events.
- Natalie - We should start meetings less formally, maybe the first 5-10 minutes are dedicated to being social.
- Liam - We could have a suggestion box of sorts at every meeting.
- Hasan - A link at the bottom of every newsletter to a form to submit a suggestion/complaint would be an option.
- Natalie - E-board shouldn’t be clicky upfront. If we were spread out or sitting down may shift the atmosphere.
- Hasan - What would someone notice sitting in on one of our e-board meetings for the first time?
- Nicole, Hasan - We go on a lot of tangents, get very distracted, and a very friendly with each other.
Introducing Changes to the General Body
categories: eboard - meeting