26 October 2018
October 25th, 2018 E-Board Meeting Minutes
by Liam Fruzyna
Participants: Liam Fruzyna, Hasan Barakat, Megan Socha, Natalie Waltz, David Fraley, Nicole deGuzman, Efrain Torres (Remote)
Meeting in person
Purpose: Discuss take aways from conference
- Natalie - We need a team to let outreach prosper, traditionally only a couple people have run outreach, breaking into committees will help more people be involved and help outreach prosper.
- Efrain - It all goes away when someone graduates otherwise, this would make it more foundational.
- Natalie - Bumping our already great team into leadership roles should be a priority while they are still involved
- Hasan - Emphasizing that these are not e-board positions. E-board is already at its size limit.
- Natalie - Also less intimidating to take on a role.
- Hasan - Next step is starting looking at where we can build these committees
- Efrain - First role/committee should be Arduino EKG or general logistics, base off 3 main programs.
- Natalie - Someone specific to manage background checks for example would be great.
- Efrain - We want to give people more meaning to their roles in outreach.
- Hasan - We want to have defined roles so people know what they are getting into.
- George - Maybe some kind of apprenticeship for a few people underneath the VPs with the intention to prepare them to take over the role as upperclassmen.
- David - EWB has a project shadow position that is an underclassmen beneath a project lead, that does some of the basic work, while learning the position. Underclassmen would apply to the position with the potential to become a future leader.
- Hasan - Getting a little ahead of ourselves by talking about the who when we haven’t decided the how.
- Efrain - We should keep in mind that we want bootcamp to keep expanding, so how do we set these up to help that happen.
- Hasan - From here we will take a couple weeks to think about it and start making some decisions then.
- Natalie - Combine a few organizations to casually go into high school and promote STEM in general and do mentoring.
- Efrain - There are notes that can talked about later.
- George - We should reach out to the school in California that has a similar concept running.
- General - This could reach out to various other relevant departments to expand this. We should also reach out to Dr. Ropella about this too.
- Hasan - 3 people from e-board will be leaving after this semester. We should put this into the general body’s mind early so that people have more time to consider it and learn about the position.
- George - Letting fresh, young people into the e-board will help expand the organization just by expanding the e-board network.
- Hasan - Letting people know that they would be a good fit for a role will help build confidence in some of the underclassmen to run.
- Hasan - Readjusting the split outreach/education VP position may be something to consider when these positions open.
- George - Wants to go over the constitution and rework it at an e-board meeting in the near future, before the election.
- David - What’s going on with that.
- Hasan - Hasan and Nicole need to meet about it and then have a meeting probably when bootcamp is over.
- David - We need to talk about where it’s coming from and where it is supposed to go.
- Hasan - David and Hasan need to meet soon about this, Rockwell meeting needs a date.
categories: eboard - meeting
- Natalie - Feedback on last night’s first meeting.
- Hasan - Theres not that many kids so we should keep volunteers down so we don’t overwhelm the kids.
- Megan - Monday is the only day that we have too many people so it shouldn’t be too much to work out logistically.
- George - Was talking to someone at MCW’s outreach program, they try to keep it just over 2:1 kids:volunteers.